Search This Blog

Friday, September 5, 2014

Reading Is Rewarding!

I try all kinds of fun ways to get my students to love reading, or at least like it enough to be successful.  My favorite trick is called Reading Is Rewarding.  This is where students are rewarded with mini buttons for doing extra reading outside of their regular assignments.

My students all start with a lanyard with their names on them to get them excited.  Last year my lanyard were graciously donated from KidCraft.  



This Year I ordered some cheap ones from Oriental Trading Co.


Here is my calendar used to log reading minutes... EVERY minute counts (sometimes I estimate and round up too)  I left it blank and my student add the month title and the numbers in the correct spaces to match the month.




My students then would earn 1 mini button for every 30 minutes they have on their log with a parents initials.  These mini buttons came from JCPenney, and were donated when their winter promotion ended.  Even though they are Winter/Christmas themed, they were free and work well!





After they have earned 33 mini buttons they can trade them in for a large button!  33 X 30 min is more or less the same as 1000 minutes of reading.  These are homemade with my button maker that I got from a funded DonorsChoose project.





To make it better, since I had some avid readers with this system there is also a 5000 minute button that's bright yellow!! 

Look at that BUTTON BLING on this pretty girl!




If you enjoyed reading my post please follow my blog!  Click here to follow my posts!

Like my page on Facebook www.facebook.com/IAmWhatITeach




No comments:

Post a Comment